Friday, May 11, 2012

Tree Identification 5: Red Mulberry

Red Mulberry: Morus rubra

This week has been a challenging week here at EMS. In the mornings we have the West Test 2 and in the afternoon we have three hours to engage our students in non-curricular activities. One of the highlights of the afternoon was a trip to McClellan Park in Huntington with our 8th grade class. We enjoyed an afternoon on hoops, tennis, Frisbee, sunbathing and good conversation.
When I first got to the park a tree growing on the side of the hill caught my eye. It had berries that are various shades of red and dark green leaves. One of my students told me that the berries taste best when they are a purplish-blue color. She ate a dark red berry and said it tasted good! I asked her what kind of tree it was and she responded "a berry tree!" While this would be a sufficient description prior to my Forest and Rail class, it is no longer satisfactory.
My research into the Audubon Society's Field Guide to Trees let me to identifying the tree as a Red Mulberry. It states that the berries are sweet and juicy and thankfully edible (the young lady came to school today and appeared no worse for the wear).





3 comments:

  1. An interesting story that helps to remember the red mulberry tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the in-depth information about the plants and the images with, not only leave, but bark and other parts. It makes the plants more easily identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Pat it does. I need to be doing the same. Thanks for saying the wonderful pictures Joe!

    ReplyDelete