Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tree Identification 4: Red Spruce

Red Spruce: Picea rubens
One of the trees Steve identified during our visit to Ritter Park that stuck out to me was the Red Spruce. I was pretty sure that was the species that stands next to my house and it turns out I was right. Below is the tree in my yard. I am unsure of its age, but it stands about 30 feet tall. In researching the Red Spruce, I found that it was once found in many places in West Virginia including the Canaan Valley, Roaring Plains West Wilderness, Dolly Sods Wilderness, Spruce mountain and Spruce Knob. The virgin stand at Gaudineer Scenic Area is still intact today thanks to a surveyors mistake in the early 20th century.

Notice the baby bottle brush like leaves on the stems.


Scale-like bark with red underneath.


Cone


No comments:

Post a Comment