Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ritter Park 2012

I've been dripping with excitement (and rain) since our trip to Ritter Park yesterday. I have to thank Steve, Denny and Pat for the opportunity to work with them and my fellow Cabell County teachers on the Forest and Rail Project. I can honestly say that I have been challenged  each and every meeting and have loved every minute.
While at the park, Steve helped us identify at least 27 different tree varieties around the park. Some were native West Virginia species and other were introduced to the state from other areas of the country and other continents. Pat helped us measure the circumference, diameter and height of trees to determine the board feet in a particular tree. Pat also worked with us on the Vernier LabQuest to evaluate the water quality in Four Pole Creek using a variety of probes.
Each opportunity to meet with this group has been a pleasure and increases my anticipation for our July outing. My knowledge of the history of West Virginia's rail and forest heritage has grown through this class and I know my students are benefiting from that knowledge!

Steve identifying and discussing Poison Ivy growing on the side of a tree.

Pat explaining how to measure distance from a tree and determine board feet.
Steve discussing the differences between the Red Spruce and  Blue Spruce trees.

Our fearless leader Denny enjoying a brief reprieve from the rain.


1 comment:

  1. Great snapshots of our crew on a soggy miserable day!
    In fact, I think one of the photos is of "The Soggy Bottom Boys"!

    ReplyDelete