Friday, April 6, 2012

Lake Vesuvius

I took the opportunity on my day off to visit Lake Vesuvius in Ironton, Ohio. While there I captured pictures of the Vesuvius Iron Furnace, the dam and spillway and also some of the trees.

The Red Buds and Dogwoods seem to be stealing the show and providing most of the colors of the forest. I did see some beautiful wildlife also.  We encountered the butterfly's pictured here. My beautiful wife thought one was injured, but when they both flew away I speculate they were just trying to make a green butterfly (keep in mind I'm a social studies teacher and not a science teacher, so that seems plausible to me!). We also saw a lizard that my kids tried to catch (no luck, they were afraid to pull its tail off). Also, we saw a chipmunk and a brilliantly colored Blue Jay (a little camera shy I might add).

Just to share a little of the history of the park, the iron furnace was in operation from 1833-1906.  The dam and lake were a Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) project in 1940. This is the type of thing that interests a social studies guy like me.

I can say the day was a success. We all played in the creek, walked the trails and had a picnic. Plenty of Thacker fun for all!

Happy Easter!








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the blog updates. Your blog will be an excellent resource for your students as well as others in studying the forest products and rail industries in the area.
    Your photos are very nice.

    ReplyDelete